The Power of Perseverance
When You Feel Like Giving Up… Take My Advice – Don’t!
Recently, as I have been re-vamping my previously serviceable-but-limited blog-only website, I hit more than a few snags along the way.
You’ve been there, I’m sure… we all have at some point or another. “I’ll just make this one little change…” and then boom, you’re in the depths of a full-blown re-make and don’t know how you got there. Sound familiar?
I took my StrategyLinks blog down at the beginning of this year. Yes – more than 6 months ago! I thought I would just update the theme and be done. simple enough. I had done this any number of times on my 4 other sites, and never had any major indecision or complications.
Keep in mind, I have been doing this for more than 8 years, have made money on 4 websites and blogs. I know my way around font-ends and back-offices, so this should have been a relatively “no-brainer” .
But this time… whew! This was the mother of all updates! And about half-way to today, I wanted to give up, scrap it all, and start over.
When we feel like giving up, or settling for
second-best, we risk losing our passion.
And without our passion, what’s the point?
But I was conflicted by all the time I had spent working with this new site that I just knew was “this close” (another 3 months close!) to being what I liked or could live with.
Note that I didn’t say it was what I wanted. No, I was only up to the point where I could “settle for something” just to get it back up and running. And that is a dangerous place for an entrepreneur to be!
I was disgusted with the lack of progress, my inability to make this thing work,and not understanding why this particular theme was so difficult to work with.
Fortunately for all of us, the story doesn’t end there!
I’m all about lessons learned- a hold over from my teaching and corporate communications days. Everything I do, I view as a bit of experience I can pass on to you.
So I kept thinking about what I was learning through all this ordeal, and what I could share as takeaways you could use to become a more successful Entrepreneur.
So here are my top lessons:
- Things will always get harder before they get better!
- Don’t be that guy who stops digging 3 feet from the motherload of diamonds.
- Think of tough experiences as “fish tales” you’ll tell later. You know, “it was ‘thiiiiisss’ big”- just like we used to joke with our parents about walking 10 miles uphill-both ways- to school… in the snow. You’ll get through this and be better for it, I promise!
- You’ll never gain any knowledge if you don’t have to try hard to learn.
- Buy products that teach you and you can resell these as proven tools to your customers. Without struggles, how can they be sure you know your stuff?
- Always look at problems and know there IS a way out. It is there, you just have to keep looking, ask people (like Fiverr) for help seeing it. Thanks to Usman for all his wise advice!
- Success you fight for is so much sweeter than anything built for you. So just keep on going, reach out to me and tell me how I can help you “earn your wings” as my grandad used to say!
Hey! Want more like this blog? Subscribe here...
I'll notify you whenever I deliver a new blog post... you'll be the first to know! (wink!)
Yeay! Success- thank you for subscribing. I can't wait to share with you and hear your feedback!
You must log in to post a comment.